Tuesday, November 12, 2013

In Which I Realize that Obedience Does Not Give Me Control

Dear Family-

This week has been very productive. We found a new investigator, L, who was referred to us by the elders. She is 80 and has a very strong belief in God. We are so excited to teach her and hope that she accepts our lessons.

Something I've noticed about my mission is that even if you are being completely obedient, sometimes things just don't go as you planned. President Van Cott tells us we only have control over what happens in the morning and the evening. Everything in the middle is out of our control. This week we had a lot of appointments fall through, and I've been trying to accept that some days that's just going to happen.

On the plus side, we had a really amazing lesson with R, who is  less active. We showed her a Mormon Message about the Atonement (None Were With Him) and talked about how the Atonement can be applied in her life. She finally opened up to us and told us a little about her past, and how she has felt God in her life. We gave her a Book of Mormon and asked her to read and pray about it. This was probably the most spiritual experience of my mission so far. We had been stuck with her because we didn't exactly know how to help her progress more, but the Spirit just took over in that lesson and I know that those words I said were not mine, but Heavenly Father's.

We went to a baptism of an 8- year old girl in our ward. Going to her baptism reminded me of mine 12 years ago. She was all smiles and just so happy and excited to follow Christ and be baptized. She has such great faith. I think I'm realizing what Christ meant when He said, "Verily I say unto you, except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me (Matthew 18:3-5)."

Look for missionary experiences this week! The Gospel of Jesus Christ is true!

Love,
Sis Rogerson

No comments:

Post a Comment